A couple of days ago, we had our Culture Project Days
at the university, where various topics concerning American and Irish culture
were presented. We were told to participate at least at ten presentations.
Well, I’ve managed fourteen. In general, I enjoyed these days. In my opinion,
all students did a great job. There were a couple of presentations which really
impressed me.
From the Irish group I liked the presentation about
Monica Loughman, who is Ireland’s best known ballet dancer. I liked the story
and the way the student presented it, in other words, I liked her performance:
she seemed to be calm and not nervous at all. She talked with a calm voice and
told us fascinating facts about the dancer. She always looked at the audience,
though, not interacting with us. But this didn’t bother me, because her
research, pictures and the story itself about the famous ballet dancer were
extremely good. To be honest, if I manage to visit Ireland one day, I’m going
the watch a performance of size-plus ballet dancers. I can’t forget the picture
I saw during the presentation and I want to see it live.
I also liked the presentation about Irish Intelligence
at its peak. The slides were great as well as the story told in perfect
English. During these two Culture Days I noticed that I liked presentations
where students interacted with the audience and not simply told a story. Well,
this student asked us some questions. Honestly, I couldn’t answer any of them,
but I enjoyed the fact of communication J
The best presentation in American group I saw, in my
opinion, was about Sheryl Sandberg. Yes, it was presented from a feministic
point of view, but not intrusively at all. I was fascinated about the way the
student presented it. I mean, I liked her strong voice, she was talking not too
fast and she used the right intonation. In my opinion, the story itself was
logical, captivating, it included even a short video. During her presentation,
the student was always looking at the audience, she asked us a few questions.
It impressed me, how self-assured she was. At the end of her presentation we
all had to write down answers to the questions we got on a small piece of paper
before the presentation. She promised to publish the results soon. I can hardly
wait!
Another presentation in the American group I liked was
about the CIA. The guy who presented it had obviously no difficulties to
perform in front of the audience. Well, sometimes I couldn’t understand some
words he said because he talked rather too fast and didn’t pronounce them
clearly enough. But anyway, the facts presented and the way the guy did it
impressed me.
It’s a pity I couldn’t participate for longer and see
more presentations. Well, you know, I have to work and earn my money. Honestly,
I enjoyed exchanging knowledge and learning from each other. I hope that this
tradition at the Translation Department will continue for many years.
No comments:
Post a Comment